Monday, July 2, 2007

Saber el-Robaey - Homesicknessصابر الرباعي - الغربةEl Ghorba

Alright finally I've found the perfect song to explain the concept of "al-Ghorba (الغربة)" The beginner's Arabic textbook translate it as "longing for homeland" but this is really only one facet of the meaning that has come to be prevalent in the context of the Arab diaspora. It's not just homeland, which one may long for, indeed the idea of the homeland is to an extent a very recent development. I call it "homesickness" here, but also translate it sometimes as "estrangement," meaning a feeling of being distance from that which is intimate or familiar to oneself and missing the comfort of that place or person; like how you can be estranged from a lover who is either not with you or not speaking to you. Moreover it has the connotations of "exile," which means it is against your will to some extent. Anyway, that's what this song is all about. He feels alone in a land far away from home and it's burning him. But at the same time, what is significant is that he is longing for something he loves whether that be a place, a person or people, or both.

For those interested in Arabic language "al-ghorba" has a fascinating etymology. Its root is includes two basic verbs: "gharaba," which means to leave or depart and "gharuba," which means to be strange from which the adjective "ghariib," which means strange or a stranger comes from. At the same time, "gharb" means west, which of course is foreign to Arabs who live in the east. The name of Morocco, "al-maghrib" is from the same root, although it most likely derives from "ghuruub," which means sunset. Thus "al-maghrib" means the place where the sun sets. At any rate, the multiple meanings of this root should resonate with Arabs currently living in the West (al-gharb) for whatever reason, who feeling a longing to be back home.


Saber el-Robaey - Homesickness

I've suffered from homesickness throughout the nights
While my sadness is in a far off land
I'm afraid if I say what happened to me
The sadness will increase

Oh how long my absence has lasted
A piece of writing in my book*
I'm longing and in the desire there is my torment
Patient and maintaining patience is beneficial

Oh my days, for shame, enough
From my life that which has gone
May my suffering end (literally, let me be after my suffering)
I hope to be at ease

I fear that I will go through life suffering
Far from my home and my address
My tears don't put out my fire
Nor do my sighs heal my wounds

Whenever the night comes I fear my loneliness, oh lord
Whenever the night comes I fear needing someone beside me
I'm scared and from the abundance of my wounds
My soul has come to pity me

صابر الرباعي - الغربة

من الغربة عانيت ليالي
وأحزاني في بر بعيد
خايف لو نحكي ما جرالي
يا ميمة الاحزان تزيد

يا ميمة طال بي غيابي
وعدي و مسطر في كتابي
نشتاق و في الشوق عذابي
صابر و زعمة الصبر يفيد

يالايام حرام كفاية
من عمري الي راح
خليني من بعد عناي
نتمنى نرتاح

نخاف نعدي العمر نعاني
بعيد على بيتي و عنواني
لا دمعي طفى نيراني
و لا داوى جرحي التنهيد

كي يجي الليل نخاف من وحدتي يا ربي
كي يجي الليل نخاف محتاج حد بجنبي
خايف و من كثرة جروحي صعبت عليا روحي

Lyrics transcription from La7oon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

submitgooglesitemap.com Sitemap Generator